Wednesday, April 30, 2014

All work and no play....

So, I have had a few conversations with people about my workout regime.  I usually work out 4 to 5 times a week, between cardio and strength training.  I get a lot of looks and comments about what a time commitment that is, the amount of discipline it takes, etc.  The funny thing is though, I don't consider myself a well discipline individual.  In fact I have a tendency to get involved in too many different projects and allow all of them to suffer from my inability to focus.  What many people don't realize is that exercise, working out, being fit, is not a chore.

When I began trying to be fit, I had already lost 60 pounds.  I looked healthier, but I still couldn't run a mile without stopping.  So I elected to change that.  I started doing light weight lifting and running about 3 miles around my neighborhood.  And it was a chore.  I really did HATE exercise, but had accepted it was necessary for my goals.  So I ran.  I got faster, my endurance improved, and my disdain of slipping on my running shoes grew with every run.  As many of you can already guess, this is not a sustainable exercise plan. If you hate whatever it is you do to workout, you will not continue working.  And I was no exception, except in one very important difference from most people.

While I was going out for my runs (I know I mentioned earlier that I was lift weights as well, but I loved that part of my work out and continue to do it today) I was still actively seeking something else.  I was unhappy with my current situation, so I would skip the long distance running one day and try sprints.  Another day I would try plyometric drills in my backyard.  And I would always return to running.  None of the alternatives I was trying out grabbed me enough to replace the crappy exercise I had stuck myself with.  But then it all changed...

A bit of back story for those of you who read this but don't know me well enough to be aware of every facet of my life, I have played video games my whole life.  And I have always gotten a great enjoyment out of games.  Now that I have grown older, I not only still play games but also advocate gamification in other aspects of life: education, business, etc.  Ask me about it sometime, it's pretty remarkable what kind of results it gets.

Anyway, back on track.  So I had bought a Kinect for my Xbox 360 probably a year or so prior to actually using it.  I thought it was an interesting concept, but just never found a reason to use it.  Then I threw in a game called "Dance Central" and my cardio routine changed forever.  Not just the dancing aspect, though that does make sweating fun, but the scoring system.  Having each dance I did be graded on a five star scale gave me a tangible goal.  Not "Run the next mile faster" kind of goal, but an actual number to shoot for.  Shortly after that I picked up Nike + Kinect and still found that even without the dance, having the tangible scores associated to my workout made all of the difference in the world.  I was more sweaty and tired doing these 40 minute workouts than I even was running for 20-30 minutes, but now it was fun.  It has continued for me to when I utilized Xbox Fitness to exercise almost exclusively, both because I love working out that way and getting to tell people that I am fit because of video games, not in spite of them, makes me immensely happy.

All of that to say that my journey is not the same as yours.  But I do believe that there is a form of physical activity that everyone can find genuine enjoyment in.  Not just something they can tolerate in order to stay fit, but actively look forward to doing it.  For some that is running incredibly long distances that make me want to weep just thinking about, others its sports, and for some including me it is video games.  I am a fit nerd, and we have hit a place where that doesn't have to be strange.  So get out there and find your bliss, because once you do, then exercising is no longer something you dread or trudge through.  I love it now, it has led to some of my greatest moments of lucidity and clarity because for an hour I could put everything else away and focus on me, you should try it sometime....it's pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment